Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sticking out like a broken ankle

I started out by typing sore thumb in the title. But I've never actually seen a sore thumb that stuck out. But I have seen a broken ankle (mine) and it did really stick out (like sideways). So I went with that.

If you are anything like me (and I know I am), then you'd admit that "sticking out like a broken ankle" is how you might feel about the idea of sharing your faith with someone. We try to live well, we hope they notice, and every once in a while, we get the chance to actually talk about WHY we live the way we do. Then the tongue just sort of gets stuck in our throat.

So I was thinking about that this weekend as I was reading my new favorite blog:
Stuff Christians Like. And I was inspired.

There is a great model for how we think about sharing our faith. And its found in an unusual place: The story of the Prodigal Son. It's an amazing story about grace, forgiveness, embrace, limitless love. And though I hadn't seen it before: evangelism. Here's what I read:

Remember when the son comes home? The dad basically throws a big party. But the father doesn't invite the older brother to the party at first when the prodigal comes home. Have you ever noticed that? He doesn't come right out and say, "Go get the older brother, it's party time."

Why doesn't he? If the party is the ultimate expression of grace and forgiveness and love, why doesn't the God character in the story invite him there? Better yet, why doesn't he just force him?

The answer is a little further down the page in Luke 15:

"Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. Your brother has come,' he replied, 'and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.' "The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.

Did you see that? Not only wasn't the brother invited, he didn't even know it was going on. But when he heard music and dancing he asked a question. He asked a question because both those activities were out of context. They should not have been happening, they made not sense. And when he asked a question, the father came running out and begged him to come inside.

I like that picture of evangelism. I don't have to force the people in my life to come to my God party. I just have to dance and live in such a way that they ask questions. And when they do, I will trust that God can answer them. All too often we do it the other way around. We tell people we have a party they would love instead of showing them. And there is a world of difference between those two ideas.


Here’s what I'm thinking: God can use all different, pathetic, half hearted, and poorly thought out means of us sharing our faith to draw people to himself. But I am increasingly sure that the very best thing we can do is “dance and sing” in such a way that people ask questions. If we don’t stick out (like a broken ankle), chances are slim that they will even know we are here. Let's live in a such a way that they want to know what's going on. Let's serve in such a way that they want to know how to get involved. Lets love in such a way that they want to know how to be find that kind of love. When they see us doing something that doesn't make sense, they'll ask questions. And then we'll answer there questions by telling them about Jesus.

So what do you think about “sticking out?”

2 comments:

  1. I love this vision... especially the dancing and singing part. But your last sentence (to me) is a stumbling block - "And then we'll answer their questions by telling them about Jesus." I know that's where we have to trust that God will give us the words... but what words are a good starting point that won't turn somebody off? Anybody have any experiences to share?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that when people ask questions, they ask because they want to know about your experiences or what you think. If they didn't, they wouldn't ask.

    ReplyDelete