Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Inked For Jesus


I've become a regular reader of Stuff Christians Like (a very cool blog for Christians who are willing to laugh at the dumb stuff Christians sometimes do).

They recently held a contest for "christian tattoos."

This is awesome to me for alot of reasons:
1. I've always wanted a tattoo but always been a big chicken.
2. You have to admire someone who believes something strongly enough to put it on their skin permanently.
3. Those little moisten and press tattoos always start to fade when you take a bath.
4. Most church goers would probably be shocked to see how many other church goers have little tattoos on parts of their bodies that they don't tend to let other church goers see.

But probably most significantly because of a friend of mine that God used to shatter some of my old boxes, paradigms, and prejudices. The first time I met this guy, let's call him KJ (wink, wink), I was working for YouthWorks and I had about 40 college students that I supervised as they led high school youth on summer mission trips. The very first thing I noticed about KJ was that his forearms and calves were pretty much completely covered with tattoos. Then I looked up and realized that KJ had at least a dozen piercings...just on his face. To be perfectly honest, my immediate gut reaction was, "Clearly this guy was a phone interview hire."

Long story short, KJ turned out to be one of the most insightful, compassionate, full of integrity, faithful and committed Christ followers I've ever met in my entire life. I learned so much from KJ. I still do. He is an amazing youth pastor and God is using him in deep ways. The guy flat out rocks my face off.

But what I love about KJ's tattoos is that they are all very intentional. They say something and that something is purposeful.

I think of that and then I ask, what am I doing on purpose to say something to the world in which I live? What am I doing that purposefully says something about what I think, what I am, what I believe?

If I'm honest, I'm usually more concerned with trying to hide the fact that I work for Jesus because I want people to get to know me before they write me off.

My friend KJ is quite content to just be who he is. And that impresses me.

Maybe one day, my own personal evolution will take me to the point of being willing to be purposeful about letting people know who I am and what I am about.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Scott. I feel so much better about my son's tattoos now! As a matter of fact... I'm thinking of getting one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey its Chris Barr my mom grabbed me and HAD to show me this because yesterday i was at the tattoo parlor with my wavers signed and ready to get inked when my dad went so far as to call every tattoo shop until he found me and stopped me from getting my tattoo, please come to my house and have a one on one with my dad and convince him to let me get my sweet tat

    thanks,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris,
    Wow, that's funny. So, I think there is some wisdom in honoring your parents, but if you can talk your dad into letting you do it, I'll go with you and get one too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dann, Renee & Maddie got "Henna" tatoos last week while we were in St.Louis just for fun. Of course, they were promised to last a couple weeks but faded to nothing in less than 24 hours! Does our commitment to ANYTHING require a visual? Actions speak louder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the problem with most tattoos is that it is a life decision and it is usually made when we are not yet of an age to fully grasp the idea of "life-long". I get a kick out of all those folks with their #8 tattoos for Dale Ehrnhardt, Jr. I wonder if they are all Mark Martin fans now that he is #8. Will they change again when Martin moves on? By the same token, if you are old enough (or really it should be mature enough) to have made a true life-long committment to anything, a tattoo is an interesting way to show it. What better thing to make a life-long committment to than Jesus Christ? As for me, I have a road runner. (no, not the Road Runner-beep beep) It means a lot to me and I think it always will. My next one, though, if there is a next one, will probably be something that reflects a life-long committment to Christ. I am sure glad, though that I was too afraid of my dad to get that Pink Floyd tattoo in the '80's.

    ReplyDelete