Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Do you HYPERMILE???


OK, have you ever even heard of hyper-miling?
I stumbled on an article about this not long ago and I'm absolutely hooked.

The basic idea is this: by using some specific driving methods, you can add significantly to the gas mileage your car gets. And as gas hovers well over $4 a gallon, I'll take every extra mile I can find.

There are literally dozens of little things you can do to increase your mileage. Some of them I don't even understand yet. But even if you drive a gas guzzling SUV, you can still significantly increase your MPG.

If you want to read more, click on this: what is hypermiling?
Be sure to click on the link inside that introductory article.

So here's our progress: I'm on my first tank of gas since I started trying this. I've driven over 200 miles and I still have over a half a tank of gas left. Once I refill, I'll be able to tell you what my actual MPG was over that time. But I'm thinking its definitely going to be higher than normal.

BUT HERE'S THE AMAZING THING: Hypermiling has made me a better person!!!!

I'm not kidding.

Now, the drive to work has become very calm and restful. I'm just taking my time. I'm infinitely more relaxed. I'm not getting mad at other cars that are going slow. I'm in a better mood when I get to work (and when I get back home). I’m just happier. And it’s addictive. I’m constantly trying to figure out how to get a little bit better at getting more miles out of my car.

You guys had no idea what you were getting into when you hired someone from California, did you?

6 comments:

  1. It's hard not to save gas compared to LA though, based on some hypermiling ideas:

    * Do not drive at higher speeds
    * Avoid driving on hilly or mountainous terrain if possible
    * Do not idle excessively

    I'll bet you doubled your LA mileage as soon as you moved here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thinking, I like it! It'd be helpful to have less construction, so you don't have to completely go out of your way to get anywhere in town! But I'll try it tonight. Another thing that helps you slow down and enjoy the ride is vanity plates, since road rage is tough with "DeLuce1" on your plates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be trying some of these techniques on my walk to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Drew,
    I think I actually got better mileage in California. Primarily because everything was close to a freeway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marty
    I'm pretty sure there are some ways you could make your walk to work more efficient:

    I'm picturing a full body spandex / neoprene suit with racing goggles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,
    I'll try a reply for the first time. I think this hypermiling is a great idea. I've been playing around with this for a few months. I have a few questions:
    1. I've been confused by some of the abbreviations. I found a key to a few:

    Common Hypermiling Terms

    FE - Fuel Economy
    DWB - Driving without brakes
    FAS - Forced auto stop, basically coasting with the engine off - Bad and dangerous
    P&G - Pulse and Glide
    ICE - Internal Combustion Engine
    D-FAS - Draft-Assisted FAS. Coasting with engine off while drafting (again bad)

    2. Does anyone know if coasting in neutral is better than coasting in gear?

    3. Is downshifting better than putting on the brakes?

    I have way more questions but I have to run...
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete