Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sometimes God kind of ticks me off...

So I'm driving my son to school this morning and I have this amazing idea. Hey why don't we pray together for your day? He says OK. I pray for a few things. I ask him if there's anything he wants me to pray for. He says that he would remember that we love him. Mostly I'm praying that God helps him have a good day and gives him peace and helps him adjust a little better than he has been.

Then we get to the drop off point, and he totally melts down. Won't get out of the car. It was our worst drop off yet.

I hate it when that happens. When you pray for something and not only does it not happen, but it's almost like the exact opposite happens. It's the ANTI-answer. It's not just that God doesn't respond. It's that you end up with something about as far as possible from what you asked for. The Anti-Answer.

You pray for a good night's sleep and you lay awake all night. You pray for patience with your kids and you end up yelling at them all day long. You pray to win the lottery and a big fat tax bill shows up in the mail. (Ok, I don't actually pray to win the lottery.)

So after I drop him off, I'm driving to work and am just in a really bad mood.
And I have this really odd thought. I guess the Anti-Answer at least shows that God is there. I don't think it's just God's sick sense of humor to give that kind of answer. It probably has alot more to do with the fact that God is trying to remind me that prayer needs to be about alot more than just "God give me..."

The Anti-answer sucks but at least its an answer.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, memories... wrestling with Chris into his clothes for preschool only to find him back in his "natural state" moments later. Transitions are so tough for some kids (and some of us grown ups too). And I've been experiencing some anti-answers lately too. Also very tough. I guess it does force me to think about what it is exactly I am praying for. Hmmm. You always get me thinking...
    Thanks,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not on topic at all, but I followed the link to "Stuff Christians Like" over on the right. Very funny. I especially like Subtly finding out if you Drink Beer

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how long until the "Stuff Christians Like" guy writes an article about his own column?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I don't pray. Those answers are just to painful

    ReplyDelete