Wednesday, July 16, 2008

My Awesome Gas Mileage (update)


Well, not as good as I'd hoped, but I'm still learning the techniques. Scroll down a bit to read about my new found hobby - "Hypermiling."

On my first tank of gas in the Civic as a "hypermiler", I got a little over 35 miles a gallon. That's right about what it's rated at for highway miles, but most of those miles were on city streets. I estimate that I raised my gas mileage by about 5 miles a gallon on that first tank. Not too bad.

Now, I'm shooting for 40 MPG.

Be warned, this is addictive. Melissa laughs at me as I put it in neutral to coast down every hill and up to every stop sign. It's become this obsessive game to see how many miles I can squeeze out of every tank.

1 comment:

  1. My mom did this back in the 70's with our Town Squire station wagon. We could coast the last mile home through the subdivision at 20 mph because the 350 V8 idled so high. I bet she doubled her gas milage from 4 to 8 mpg.

    kyron

    ReplyDelete