Sunday, August 17, 2008

like growing vegetables in the dessert


Chuck talked at the Launch today about personal brokenness. We all have those moments of failure; those times when we do what we don't want to do and don't do the things we know we really ought to do. We all stand together in the same place: desperately needing Jesus to deal with our brokenness.

I think the average Christian spends a great deal of time pretending that the above isn't true.

I don't know. Maybe that's because of the reaction the average Christian gets if they ever show any sign of weakness within the walls of the average church.

Did you know that it's written in the book of James that we should confess our sins TO ONE ANOTHER, that we might be healed. I read that and I find it kind of funny that one of the core elements of our liturgy is the Confession of Sin (with the corresponding assurance of pardon). But James doesn't say to confess silently to God. He says, "to one another". Truthfully, James doesn't even say to confess your sins to a pastor.

Confess your sins to one another.

But why? I mean it's just so awkward. So uncomfortable. So painful. I went on a mission trip to Jamaica when I was in college. And I realized that I kept noticing how attractive all the college girls on the trip were. I mean I really kept noticing. So I did what any young and immature college Christian on a mission trip would do: I did what the Bible says. I confessed my sins to another. But not just to ANY other. Nope. I confessed to the whole group. And I named names. It went like this:

"Amy, I'm just so sorry. I've been looking at you like an object and not a person. And that's just so wrong. Please forgive me. And Sarah, I just haven't been able to take my eyes off you. That's just so wrong of me. God is really opening my eyes to see you as you really are. Lynn, I'm sorry I haven't really shown any attention to you at all, have I?"

Strangely, even after that remarkable demonstration of spiritual maturity and taking the Bible seriously, none of those girls would ever go out with me.

OK so back to the present.

My meandering point: James was right.

I have actually had several other experiences of being in an authentic confessing community (a small group of people who got together regularly for prayer and fellowship and who gave each other permission to be honest about our brokenness). And just as James promises, those really were places of healing and wholeness for me.

There really is something to this idea. Something remarkable happens when you look another person in the eye and admit your brokenness. I think it takes that kind of confession to actually admit it to yourself. And to God.

More than that, it's almost as if God's grace actually comes out of our mouths when we look someone in the eye who has confessed to us and we say, "you are forgiven." I love saying those words to the whole congregation. But every time I do it, I'm aware deep down that it would be so much more meaningful to each one of them, if that confession and prayer and that giving of forgiveness happened in an authentic and confessing small group.

Do you have a place like that?

Do you want one?

Let me know and I'll help you find one.

4 comments:

  1. It is interesting that you mention the prayer of confession. I was just thinking of that the other day. It is one of the things that I miss in the service at SW. It is so meaningful to me to have that unison prayer that makes me realize my sinfulness and brokenness. For me, it's helps me prepare for the message that will be presented and gives me hope that God will forgive me if I truly repent. I hope you will include a prayer of confession in the SW service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good words Margaret. We try to do a Prayer of Conf periodically. We did it this past week. But we don't do it as often as we intend to.

    Question: How is that practice in church consistent with James who says to confess TO ONE ANOTHER? I don't think James had anything like a large, silent, corporate prayer of confession in mind.

    I see a tension there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I see it... when we pray a prayer of confession.. in unison, not silent... we are praying to God, but also so others can hear. We are acknowledging to all who hear us, that we are sinful and are asking for forgiveness. While it is not an intimate, small group confession, and some might say it is a bit impersonal, I do think that it is a good corporate way to worship and confess our sins. Not that I think we should be like the Pharisees and call attention to ourselves in public, but some people might feel more comfortable with that than with a one-on-one confession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret, I agree... I miss the prayer of confession. Scott, I see your point, but I think it can help lead to something more personal. Can't tell you the number of times we'll be sitting in church, saying the prayer of confession or even during the sermon or some other moment... and something will be said that reminds me of how I messed up during the past week... and my husband and I will look at each other, and it will open the door for an apology later, or a conversation we should have. To me, the corporate prayer of confession is one way to open the door for a confession to one another. Would love to see it more often at SW!

    ReplyDelete