Thursday, May 1, 2008

childcare on a pastor's salary



So somebody asked me recently about one of my sermon titles. They couldn't figure out how the title connected to the message. I told this person that I didn't have any idea how the sermon title connected either.

Which is kind of like the above picture.

Anyway. Tonight we've got this banquet to kick off our Mission Drive. I'm actually pretty excited to have another opportunity to tell people about the Malawi Project we are launching. The part we're featuring tonight is this concept of Trust Groups that are at the heart of the micro-finance partnership we are developing with Oppotunity International in Malawi.

Here's a sneak peak:

The trust group model basically looks like this: A group of 10 to 20 people from a village all get together and each take out small loan to help them start up, or improve their personal businesses. But the kicker is that each member of the group guarantees every other person's loan. So if one member is falling behind, everyone else has to help them catch up. The result of this model is you've got a whole group of people who are committed to helping one another succeed and who are there to help pull one another along should someone stumble.

Which makes me wonder: What if we did spiritual formation like that?

1 comment:

  1. I think I see the connection. But the really sad truth is that due to the soaring price of crude, even duck tape will be unaffordable soon, so you better keep searching for child care options..... <-)bill

    ReplyDelete