Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I REALLY wanna know what you think...

So we're going into week 3 of the Generosity series.
This is tough stuff. It's tough to say. I know it's tough to hear. God is challenging me deeply in my personal life as I think through this stuff. I hope God's doing the same in you.

Last week, we asked you to think about what God's answer would be to you if you asked him, "God, what am I missing?" We asked you to take some time to consider what the things might be that bind you, shackled you, prevent you from being truly free and truly generous. Then we gave you the chance to write down your thoughts - anonymously - on scrap paper. (Don't miss this coming Sunday's unveiling of our artist in residence did with our shackles).

There were some amazing answers. Here's what some of us wrote:
ambition
need to maintain self image
selfishness
I want to but don't know how
fear
debt
my stuff
self centered
taxes
my appetite
disobedience
too controlling
never satisfied
the need to be wanted
too scared.
TOO SCARED!
scared to take the first step
I've been hurt by the church

Some really powerful stuff. I read these notes and see how clearly so many of us want to be what Jesus intends us to be. I hear loudly the longing for real freedom. And I see the pain of knowing that things are holding us back.

The good news is that as we continually offer those things to Jesus, he takes our shackles and breaks them and gives us back freedom and real, abundant, meaningful life. We'll talk about stepping out in trust this coming Sunday.

So what do you think?
How is this series impacting you?
How is it making you mad?
Do you just wish it would go away?
What are you learning?
What are we missing?

I really want to know. If you are comfortable commenting here, just click on the word "comment" below this article. You can choose the anonymous option if you prefer. I'd love to hear from you.

3 comments:

  1. Scott,

    Its powerful stuff--I'm still working on the first week's message--being generous and loving, just because God started it all by being incredibly generous and loving.

    Here's my roadblock/hang-up/question... How do you know what God is trying to tell you? I can't tell if my inner voice is consistent with God's call, or if I'm so wanting to hear God that I'm drowning him out/talking over him.

    If it were easy, I guess we'd all be living incredible and fulfilling (abundant) lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question - how do we hear God's voice?
    I think it starts with a pretty simple point, when it comes to things that God has clearly and repeatedly told us (in the Bible) that he values, you pretty much can't go wrong stepping into those things. I think generosity is one such concept. Just pick something and jump into it. Giving is the only issue in the Bible about which God encourages us to test him. He promises us abundance and purpose and life when we are obedient by bringing "the whole tithe" to him. So I say worry less about knowing exactly what to do and just do something! Put God to the test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks... good point. I'm sort of a "head" person, and maybe have overanalyzed the situation (again!), wanting a definite answer. I need to leap, in faith!

    ReplyDelete