Wednesday, April 9, 2008

If cussing bugs you, don't read this...

Wow. Do you ever read something that just grabs you by the throat and yanks you into it? I mentioned the writings of Gordon Atkinson yesterday and thanks to Mark A for pointing me to one I'd missed. But this short essay describes Gordon's journey of faith and it is TRUTH like very few things you'll ever read. Let me say that again, this stuff is TRUTH.

But if you prefer your truth all shiny and clean, you probably won't want to click on the link below. As for me, this man speaks my language:

the preacher's story

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I especially liked this:
    "There is no “down inside.” Love is something you do, not something you feel."

    Maybe you could read this to the congregation some time ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the biggest things for me was basically a validation of many things that I've felt over the years and been unable to rectify in my own head. That sense of validation was in many ways a kind of relief for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was profound and touched me on so many levels. There are many times that I have, and continue to, question parts of my faith. To me, however, that is just part of my faith journey. I walk, I stumble, sometimes I fall, but I always try to get up again and move forward. I really wish my son, who has turned away from his faith right now, would read this and take some comfort in knowing that even preachers sometimes have doubts. Unfortunately, he's not open to any more articles or emails from his mom on the subject. I will, however, keep this in case he is open to beginning a dialogue in the future. Thanks for sharing this powerful message!

    ReplyDelete