Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bono rocks my face off


OK, disclaimer: I am NOT a big fan of celebrity endorsements. It drives me nuts when people who are famous (primarily because of their ability to act like someone they aren't) jump on political bandwagons or other causes. If you've seen any of Tom Cruise's rants about scientology the last few years, you know what I'm talking about.

But Bono (lead singer of U2) has been a remarkable exception. Bono has for years been advocating for the poor and for AIDS issues in Africa. His stance has been consistent, clear, and convicting for those willing to listen.

Here's what he had to say recently to an interviewer:

"Well, you know, I am not a very good advertisement for God. So, I generally don't wear that badge on my lapel. But it is certainly written on the inside. I am a believer. There are 2,103 verses of Scripture pertaining to the poor. Jesus Christ only speaks of judgement once. It is not all about the things that the church bangs on about. It is not about sexual immorality, and it is not about megalomania, or vanity. It is about the poor. 'I was naked you clothed me. I was a stranger and you let me in.' This is at the heart of the gospel. Why is it that we have seemed to have forgotten this? Why isn't the church leading this movement? I am here tonight because the church ought to be ready to do that."


Here's my challenge for you: Talk to someone who isn't a Christian (that shouldn't be hard, but I bet it will be really hard) and ask them what they think of how well the church has responded to poverty, hunger, and AIDS in Africa.

Come back and tell us what they say.

3 comments:

  1. I posed your question to our C group
    tonight: "What do others think that
    we, God-people, are doing to help
    people with AIDS".

    Most of my friends are Christians
    so how do I find someone to ask?
    Maybe talk to people who use services
    provided by Empty Tomb?

    Pat
    ---

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Pat.

    How do we "Make Disciples" if everyone we know are Christians?

    How do we get to know people who "aren't like us?"

    I think the biggest thing is the people we don't really "see". The lady at the coffee bar, the check out person at County Market, I notice frequently how the people I'm with at restaurants barely even make eye contact with the waiter. I try to get their name and use it a time or two when i order. Also, I try to go the the same places frequently. My spot is Aroma. It was a small victory for me when the lady behind the counter knew my drink before i ordered it. So I went back later that day and got another one.

    And then it's just the art of asking questions.

    "Hey, you ever listen to U2? I read this great quote by Bono the other day. He totally blasts the church for failing to respond to the aids crisis. what do you think of that?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Scott (or should I say "Hey, Scott"),
    Liked your Bono thoughts. We desparately need more focus on AIDS/Africa and he helps, big time.

    A celebrity that really impresses me for his humility and his strong humanitarian focus outside his area of stardom is David ("The Admiral") Robinson. He (with his wife) has given millions to starting up a community school in San Antonio to teach poor kids in the best ways possible. And, his efforts have been both his money and his time and have been really intensive over many years, driven by his deep Christian faith as you may know. He said "winning a championship doesn't make you a better person. It does not validate you." (made this point often claims Steve Kerr, a then San Antonio teammate). Love that statement. Great bio I found (via the WEB) on him in Today's Christian (March/April 1998). Found out he said "Don't do good works before men to be cheered by men" and that he talked about "doing the right things because that's what God told us to do." A truly great athlete who transcended his sport.

    And then there is my childhood hero Roberto Clemente of the Pittsburgh Pirates when they were actually very good. He died at the height of his baseball career doing good works (airplane crash while helping hurricane victums). I cried over that; it seemed so unfair (and not just to my beloved Pgh. Pirates!) .

    There are too few celebrities who really reach out with money, time, and their sometimes great influence to the strugling world outside the circle of their fame, but we need those who do, like Bono, Robinson, Clemente, and others we could all name. We have small voices compared to theirs.

    Cheers, Bill



    Best, Bill

    tHERE ARE TOO FEW CELEBRITIES WHO REALLY REACH OUT, BUT WE NEED THOSE W= an .

    ReplyDelete