Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Launch Blast - February 28th

Hey there Launchies,

If you weren't around on Sunday, you missed a good one.  Jaron preached and he brought it home!
He preached about authenticity being a core value of our LIFE TOGETHER as a community of faith.  As I was sitting there listening to Jaron, one question kept popping into my head - "what's my mask?"

What do I mean by "my mask"?
I'm talking about the fake front I put up to hide who I really am or how I'm really doing.  I'm talking about the Super-Me that I try to impress you with.  It's the Shiny Happy me that I hope you see (and believe) because frankly, the real me isn't all that impressive or attractive.

Here's the deal.  This isn't just a minor deal.  There are big implications to this tendency to act like we've got it all together before we head to church.

The biggest concern for me is the fact that our neighborhoods are full of families that are just a mess.  Full of people whose lives are broken and falling apart.  And for most of those people, church feels like the least safe place they could go.  How many times have you known a family that had a major crisis or a marriage that fell apart and those folks just disappeared from church? 

Shouldn't it be the opposite?  Shouldn't the body of Christ feel like the safest place to land when your world gets ripped out from under you?

What would it take for us to be the kind of place where people could just be real?

What would it look like for us to be authentic in our life together?

How do we get there?

I'm not sure I have any answers, but I know this:  It starts with each one of us identifying our Super-Self costume and chucking it in the garbage.

What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment