Monday, June 1, 2009

Parents on Facebook

So, I've found it fascinating to watch the Facebook phenomenon spread into older generations of adults. When I first got on Facebook (and before that MySpace), the only adults I saw on there were youth pastors who were using those sites to connect with kids. And most of the time, that just resulted in this slightly scary stalker feeling.

Recently, I had a conversation with a parent who told me that their son doesn't really use Facebook anymore because all of his friend's parents are on it. And if we're doing it, it can't really be cool, right?

This reminds me of a quote I heard once, I seem to recall it being the lead singer of the Ramone's but I could be totally wrong about that. Anyway, this singer was asked to define Rock n Roll and said something to the effect of: "Rock and Roll is whatever music makes the parents mad". (He actually used much more colorful language than that.)

So...that got me thinking that maybe the very best way to reinforce cultural behaviors among our youth is to get mad about it.

Or, vice versa, maybe the very best way to change cultural patterns of behavior that bother us is for us adults to embrace those behaviors and start acting that way too.

For example, all of us adults could start wearing extremely baggy pants that sag way down revealing most of our underwear. (come to think of it, that might be a nice corrective for the tendency of our belt lines creeping upwards as we get older.

So, now I'm going to try to focus on a sermon with images of Chuck Carlson in sagging pants stuck in my head!!!

Hey. It's Monday. I'll have something better tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. As an "older adult" who uses Facebook, I think it is a wonderful way to keep in touch with the "younger" generation. Maybe teenagers don't appreciate the intrusion on their cyberspace, but our more mature children might think it a nice way to keep in touch... at least my daughter does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought we all started wearing our shirts tucked out so our new pastor would correct his attire and tuck his shirt in.

    ReplyDelete