Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A little less CAR

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the One Car experiment in the Keeble home.

We are turning in our Honda (which was a lease). It was a good car. It rolled with me through the Hyper-miling experiment and got 40 miles to the gallon in the process.

But as of tomorrow, we are going to be a one car family.
"gasp..." I know, it's almost un-American.

I know its going to be a big pain in the rear. But I'm actually really quite excited about it. I'll be carpooling when I can. I'll be feeling my way around on MTD. I'm really hoping to do alot of biking. And I might even walk a bit more.

One thing I'm particularly excited about: Being less secluded from my community. Its so easy to just seclude ourselves at home, then do the same at work. We drive in between but are totally disconnected from our surroundings in all that "in between" space. I think the One Car Experiment is gonna help me be more connected to my community. We'll see.

I'll keep you posted. I'm thinking Wednesdays on the blog will be One Car Wednesdays with weekly updates.

PS. Feel free to call and offer a ride. It doesn't matter where you are going. Just take me with you.

3 comments:

  1. The first thing we did when we moved to C-U was sell one of our cars.

    That arrangement worked beautifully because Tim walked/biked to work and I got the car all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We sold a car when we moved here, too. One of the best things about a small town so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of the best things if you were bright enough to think ahead and strategically plan where you will live...that would not be us!

    ReplyDelete