Monday, February 11, 2008

Big Fat Losers

A recent Today show interview featured the Dean family - who together lost 500 pounds in a year.

500 pounds. My family doesn't weight that much total. So this family really lost alot of fat. In the interview, the dad of the family admitted to going 30 years without exercising and never passing up a snack along the way. I was frankly really impressed by what they did. It took alot of hard work.

Here's the thing: it's really pretty easy to gain weight. You don't even have to think about it. Do nothing and it happens.

When we in the church think about gluttony, we tend to think about intentionally taking more than we really need. But I don't think that's the heart of the problem. I think gluttony is really about not doing something. Do nothing and it just sort of happens.

Because naturally, we just take more than we need. We focus on ourselves. We hoard. We're selfish. We just want more. All the time. A member of the Rockefeller family was once asked how much money was enough. His answer: "Just a little more."

It takes a commitment; It takes a decision; It takes effort to not be a glutton. You have to intentionally say no to some things and yes to other things (which usually means saying yes to others instead of saying yes to things).

On Sunday, we'll be talking about what it means to be a glutton. Until then, I'd love to know what are some of the things you have a hard time saying no to. Or conversely, what are the things (or people) you have a hard time saying yes to.

2 comments:

  1. In August, I watched an acquaintance literally drop dead before my eyes while we were running a race. He received immediate medical attention but there was nothing they could do to save him. It was a wake up call to me. I ran periodically, but found it hard to say yes to frequent exercise and good food choices and easy to yes to junk food and TV. I didn’t plan to be overweight, have high blood pressure or high cholesterol, but when you give this things no thought, that’s were some of us end up. I was a stroke waiting to happen. Since that sad day, I have tried to give it much more thought. Since then I have worried about my family experiencing what my acquaintance’s family went through when they got that terrible news. I have prayed a lot, dieted a little, and exercised daily, and have made remarkable progress. I have a long way to go to get to where healthy choices come more naturally, but with God's help, I will get there. But the truth is junk food and giant portions bombard us at every turn. Healthy choices and adding daily exercise to our otherwise hectic lives take a solid commitment; and one that without faith, would be beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, thanks so much for sharing your experience. That must have been incredibly painful.

    I'm really grateful for the insights you continue to offer. It's helpful to hear how others process the stuff I'm thinking about. Blessings to you in your pursuit of wholeness.

    ReplyDelete