Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I love books that shake my world...

here's a quote from a book I'm reading right now:
The word missional theologically means "to be sent," so leaving is where living like a missionary really begins. Leaving isn't just about going overseas. It's about replacing personal or Christian activities with time spent building relationships with people in the surrounding culture.


Have you ever considered that, as followers of Christ, we are all called to LEAVE??? (see above)

Like I said, shaking my world. I love it. Let me just say loudly and clearly, as a pastor, if any of you folks who belong in our church community feel like you need to STOP coming to our church activities because you want to spend more time building relationships with those around you (relationships in which you can "incarnate the gospel") then know without a shadow of a doubt that you have my full blessing. I'd even say you are on the right track!!!

Stay tuned for thoughts on HOW we go once we decide to "leave"...

4 comments:

  1. scandalous! :-) If they stop coming to your programs, how will you pay the bills? If they don't come to us, what will we do? What if they hang out with folks who think differently, aren't you afraid they might become more liberal in their theology? What about the children, my gracious the children!!! Who will teach them if they don't come to our programs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch it ahud... Sarcasm is a spiritual gift that often runs dry in the church!

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are a lot of spiritual gifts that have run dry in the church...

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have ever recieved the blessings/support/love/etc...of a group of people who have "left" the church and put their faith into action on your behalf....then you know that it is better than any church service you will ever attend.

    ReplyDelete