Thursday, November 13, 2008

Let's just chalk that one up to "a learning moment"...

Yesterday's blog post was a first for me.
It was the first time I received more email responses about the blog than comments on the blog. Thanks to everyone who emailed. Some great responses. Some really funny responses. And all very thoughtful responses. You all challenged my thought processes and expanded my perspective.

Some of those emails helped me realize that I may have said some things in a way that really clouded the points I was trying to make. If yesterday's post sounded like a partisan shot, please forgive me. That was not my intent at all.

Allow me to try again...

A common sentiment I heard in response to my post was that we’re just better off separating faith and politics altogether. Maybe I’m just young and naïve, but I want to believe that that isn’t true. I want to believe that we are capable of having loving, thoughtful, respectful, and humble conversation about political issues. I want to believe that we can have those conversations among ourselves, and that we can engage our neighbors in conversation as well. And that we can do it in a way that demonstrates the love and compassion of Jesus.

What you all helped me realize is that words on a computer screen on an anonymous blog is really a poor place to initiate those kinds of conversations. Like I said…a learning moment. Sorry about that.

I also want to be sure and say that I don’t believe either political party does a very good job of representing the values that I hold as a follower of Christ. To be a Christian does not mean being a (insert favorite party here).

I did not write yesterday as a Democrat. I'm not one. I don't agree with a number of the stances our president-elect holds. I don't think that the Democratic party embodies the values I hold any better than the republican party does. I did not mean to imply that a vote in either direction was somehow more faithful to God than a vote in any other direction. My feelings about the election have nothing whatsoever to do with party affiliation.

It would have been quite fair of me to point out that just as some Christians have jumped to some unfair and really unloving conclusions and opinions of President-elect Obama, so too have many done to our current President Bush. Both reactions are worthy of critique. It is entirely appropriate for us as followers of Christ to spur one another on to a higher standard of love and respect than what is too often accepted in the political sphere. And neither party is above reproach in that regard.

Yesterday I said I was excited and I am. I hope I managed to communicate that, for me, that has more to do with my kids than anything else. I don’t think I can explain that adequately in this space. Maybe this isn’t the right place. Or perhaps another day.

Well, I hope you all (I like to pretend I have lots of blog readers) will forgive some of my idiosyncrasies, such as typing faster than my brain can actually think.

Thanks again for your great emails. You taught me. Feel free to stick comments like that right here on the blog. That’s what it’s here for.
Humbly growing.

9 comments:

  1. Indeed, I would be interested if you engaged the abortion debate. I would also suggest you read Robert P. George's article on President-Elect Obama's abortion stance before you do so. I won't post the link here without your permission, but it is well documented and clearly written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott... you have nothing to apologize for. As mature Christians, we should be able to dialogue about issues in a loving and respectful way. I'm sorry that some people can't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Margaretha - you have nothing to apologize for. I love our church because we can challenge each other's thinking and grow toward better understanding God's grace and love - and a big part of that is having open minds and hearts toward people we disagree with. Please don't stop a conversation because it can be uncomfortable. I don't think we can (or should) separate faith from politics... I don't think we should separate faith from ANYTHING in our lives. I, for one, would love to continue this debate, perhaps in person... coffee and conversation anyone? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scott, you need to re-read your post from November 11. If you are going to try to live without fear you have to be committed to it in the face of opposition and criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Alli's idea about a discussion/debate over coffee. Sounds great... count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,
    I agree with Alli and Margaretha.
    No need for apology. You know, there was a time when I was uncomfortable with church. I felt I was being judged by the choices I had made in my life. I felt I was the only one with financial worries, special needs children issues. Were others feeling this way? I decided it began with me. I became more vocal, open to others, and joined a church that embraces differences, not shuns them. Who wants to belong to a Stepford Church? No cookie cutter members for me! I love that we can all have differences, but come together to worship. Keep on blogging Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love our church because we can challenge each other's thinking and grow toward better understanding God's grace and love - and a big part of that is having open minds and hearts toward people we disagree with."

    Well put, Alli.

    Bill Bell

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome comments. A few responses:

    Anonymous: it's ok to type your name in at the bottom of your comments. Some of the other anonymous comments have convinced me that a blog is not a great setting for trying to discuss hotbutton issues like abortion. But there are other ways - see my comment to Alli below.

    Drew: great reminder about fear. Point taken. You da man.

    Margaretha: I'm not apologizing for my opinion. But I do want to apologize for seeming to suggest that one party is more "Christian"
    than another.

    Alli: Great observations. My wife wants to do a book study on God's Politics. If anyone is interested, give her a shout!

    Bill: Welcome!

    Janie: You rock my face off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish we lived closer to you guys. We could have had some good round table discussions over here.

    ReplyDelete