Wednesday, November 14, 2007

mass media and the emerging church

I regularly check the blog of a guy named Tony Jones. Today, he mentions a story that ran in USA Today about the emergent church.

Some really interesting reading. Here's a link:
http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/news/20071112/opledereligion100.art.htm

There are some interesting thoughts on how the Emerging Church approaches alot of things. Take a look at these quotes and let me know what you think. Some of these ideas would challenge us on some of the issues we're dealing with. Some would make for mighty good conversation.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

"according to emergent theology, the point of being Christian is not solely to achieve heaven in the next life, but to bring some heaven to this life by doing the work of Jesus."

"Emergents are quite certain about some things, nevertheless, especially Jesus and his clear instruction about the way Christians are to live out their faith — not primarily as respectable, middle-class pillars of status quo society, but as servants to the poor and to people in the margins. In the words of Gideon Tsang, a 33-year-old Texas emergent who moved himself and his family to a smaller home in a poorer part of town, "The path of Christ is not in upward mobility; it's in downward."

"Unlike the megachurches of mainstream evangelicalism, emerging groups do not emphasize attracting new members (although it seems to happen anyway) or constructing church buildings. Some emerging groups meet in rented auditoriums, some in people's homes, some in pubs. There is less emphasis, too, on programming for members. In their view, the church exists not primarily to serve members but to serve the community."


What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I think most people are too comfortable to be downwardly mobile, including myself.

    Does that make us bad people if we don't sell our possessions? Is there a middle ground, or am I trying to justify my connection to "things."

    We got into this at C&C a few weeks ago, and I really hope that God considers the intent in our hearts as much as the actions of our bank accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know much about the "emergent" church, but I dig all of those quotes.

    And regarding Drew's (who I don't know from Adam) comment I say this:
    Shouldn't our bank accounts reflect the intent of our hearts? I think they most certainly do. And that's where a lot of us (including myself) are going to be busted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it's an either / or kind of deal. I think Wendy is right: our bank accounts (and by extension, the values that drive how we use our resources) reflect what's in our hearts.

    While i don't think there is anything wrong with being succesful or with making money, I think the words of Jesus in the new testament make it clear that we should care MORE about caring for our neighbor than about filling up our 401k.

    We'll come back to that next week at church! Stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Wendy, conviently, you'll be able to listen to our services right here on my blog. They'll uusually get posted about the following Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete